Thursday, January 25, 2007

A lesson in Customer Service

Companies usu have 'star' awards to reward and recognise staff who have given good customer service, whether to internal or external customers. I only wish they dare to be radical enough to give 'razzie' award to those who give bad customer service , and that all contributors who name the nominees for razzie award will be anonymous. This would definitely pressure everyone to behave themselves!

Here's some from my company.
(All examples are phone calls)

Me: Hi, may I know who's that on the line?
her: this is LL here.
Me: Hi LL, I misplace my staff card, would like to know..
*interrupted*
her: Staff card is SH, u call SH

nb: LL and SH are sharing the same line
Me: So can I speak to SH then? Is she in?
her: SH only come in in the afternoon, everyday. You call her in the afternoon.
Me: ok thanks bye.

I'm not sure if u can detect the lack of customer service here. For me, her tone was 'i dun wish to help' and slightly curt. If I were her, I would have
1) not interrupted the caller, and try to see if I can answer the caller's queries. Since we are all in the same dept, and I am not new to the organisation, I should have at least some basic knowledge even if this is not my scope of work.

2) if I really have no answer to the question, I would have said "I'm sorry, I'm not too sure abt this. The person in charge is ___, but she wont be in until afternoon, can I get her to call you back?

Its whether u want to help or not.. anyway, she's a clerk.. and seems like most of the clerks in my company talk like this... not helpful, and in such brief english that u wonder is it becos they cant speak english properly, so they talk like that?

Here's a good one to illustrate (their mouth got gold, cannot open too long, lest the gold fall out)
Me: Hi, can i speak to XX please?
Clerk: XX not in.
(Cant u say "I'm sorry, XX is not around / on MC / on course / on leave , would you like to leave a message?")
Me: Ok thanks, bye.


Incident no 3:
Me: Hi, may i have the direct line of Mr XX in your dept?
Him: Where are you calling from huh?
Me: I'm calling from HQ
Him: The number is _ _ _ _. How come you call me huh? I'm not tel directory you know.
Me: The staff directory does not list such phone numbers, so I have to call your dept directly to get the number. May I have the number please?
Him: The number again, is
*I interrupted*
Me: No, no, u haven given me the number, u only gave me the first 4 digits. (He pissed me off with the 'again')
Him: If you know the system, all the telephone nos at my dept start with the same 4 digits:
6_ _ _
Me: Ok thank you . Bye

Gosh, this clerk was just plain rude... I went to complain to his manager who was totally understanding 'Yes, that's very unprofessional of him, I will have a word with him'.
Actually on hindsight, I think that dept was very busy that day, they had some ISO audit, so maybe he was involved. But still, there's no excuse for bad customer service.

No comments: